Saturday, February 21, 2009

Etsy Artist Feature - ptitebaloue




























It is important to show the world the charms of handcrafted items, and I plan to do this one artist at a time. Today I feature ptitebaloue of Quebec, Canada. She has an amazing shop full of handcrafted plush animal toys.


Below you can read her interview:

1. What is the first memory of crafting that you can recall?

I remember threading ribbon across two heart-shaped pieces of cardboard to make a Valentine's day card... ...when I was still in day-care, so probably not even 4 years old! :) Plus numerous memories of myself learning to knit with my grandmother... I started really young!

2. What are some of your favorite past times?

...I often think I have too many and not enough time ;) I love to knit (of course!), but also to draw, play guitar, write fiction, learn and practice foreign languages... I actually spent two of the last summers in Tunisia learning arabic!

3. What do you specialize in?

Although I recently finished a bachelor's degree in international studies and modern languages, job search has not been very successful until now so I've taken out my needles and re-started knitting... soft toys, since I've always loved them :) I also recently taught myself how to spin yarn so my latest creations are made entirely from 100% handspun, natural fibers :)

4. What made you decide to open up a shop on Etsy?

I discovered the site very randomly, reading a newspaper article about home-made, and just fell in love with it... I spent 2-3 weeks just browsing Etsy for hours and finding new favourites... Then I decided I absolutly had to try it too! :)

5. How did you choose your shop name?

I called it A-knit-thing since my "things" - plushies, creatures ;) - are both knit and... neat ;)

6. What are your hopes for the future?

I'm currently trying to work out a governmental subvention that would allow me to buy more supplies, offer my products to "real" (physical) shops and maybe even build my own website to sell them on... If it works I should get it within a month or two... I'm keeping my fingers crossed, I really, really wish this could become a full-time job!

7. How do you feel about custom orders?

I haven't got that many sales yet but I've already done two custom orders and love that!! :) I'm always open to any request, either a reproduction of something that has sold or any variation of an existing model... or a whole new one, why not! Bring it on! ;)

8. Try to sum up your workspace in as few words as possible.

It doesn't take many words to describe ;) Basically it's the left side of the sofa (the right one being occupied by my boyfriend to watch TV) and a mountain of supplies boxes piled up around a little table in my bedroom... I really wish I'll have my own room for crafting eventually, when we'll buy a house :)

9. Is there anything else you would like to add?

As I've written on my Etsy page, some toys may appear expensive but they reflect the cost of supplies (natural fibers are expensive, as is shipping!!) and the time spent spinning and knitting - often 5, 6, 7 hours on the smallest toys and even more on bigger ones... but it's an investment you'll probably keep for life, and even transmit to the next generation! :)

How can people get in contact with you?

Please contact me through Etsy - I love to receive comments on my work!! :)

www.ptitebaloue.etsy.com

You can find the pictured soft toys by following the links below:

Leo the handspun - all natural - alpaca polar bear


Marley the wooly -pure wool- lion


Tweet, the itsy bitsy penguin

Thank you so much for reading. I hope that you enjoyed ptitebaloue's soft toys, and please feel free to forward this feature on to your friends and family.

-
Christina
CM Designs dba 1337 Art
[Elite Art for the elite at heart.] Featuring jewelry for men and women, awareness items, bookmarks, brooches, cards, cell phone charms, clip on earrings, cuff links, hair accessories, wine charms, and more!

You can also find _1337 Art on:

Twitter / Myspace / Live Journal / Deviant Art / Etsy / Artfire

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails