1. Reuse old gift wrap/tissue paper or magazines and newspapers to wrap gifts.
2. Send email gift certificates instead of plastic gift cards if possible. Or give cash.
3. Bake holiday cookies and cakes instead of buying them to reduce packaging waste.
4. Send holiday emails instead of paper cards via snail mail. If you still want to send cards look for plantable cards - most are made with recycled paper, and they contain flower seeds so the card can be planted.
5. Throw a holiday get together with lots of friends and family to save on food costs, energy, water, electricity, etc.
6. Plan shopping trips to save on gas.
7. Use old jars as vases or for the ingredients of a cookie/cake recipe (just tie a tag with the recipe around the neck of the jar - makes a great gift!)
8. If you are buying someone an electronic device do some research and also provide them with a list of places where they can dispose of their old one.
9. Write gift lists, wish lists, to do lists, etc. on the back of old bills, scrap pieces of paper, even the newspaper instead of using a new clean sheet.
10. When mailing packages to friends and family out of state be sure to use envelopes and packaging materials that are recycled.
Do you have any tips you would like to share? Please feel free to leave a comment.
Thank you for reading,