Friday, May 16, 2008

Etsy Artist Feature 16: eringarrisondesign

It is important to show the world the charm of handcrafted items. We intend to do this one Etsy Artist at a time. Today we feature Erin with eringarrisondesign. She specializes in fine art photography, and she does it with a very interesting style.

Below you will find her interview:


1. What is the first memory of crafting that you can recall?

Well, I can remember back to arts and crafts in pre-school. My very, very first drawing ever was a single brown crayon line streaking across a blank sheet of paper. Thats it. Just a brown line. I think I was boycotting structured arts and crafts! I then remember my next attempt at drawing, and, although I can't quite remember what it is I drew, I do remember my aunt (who is an artist herself) telling my mom that she needs to put me in as many art classes as she can. She did, and here I am now, an architect who is also a photographer and graphic designer! And I still have that drawing of the single brown crayon stroke.

2. What do you specialize in?

I specialize in fine art photography, and I also offer graphic design work, which can range from wedding invitations, greeting cards, and announcements to advertisements, and even once in awhile I'll take on website design.



3. What made you decide to open up a shop on Etsy?

I had just started to re-fall in love with photography, I had lost touch with it once I was out of college and had a 'real' job. I would show people my work, and would always get the same response, 'You should sell that!' So, I started to look for a place to sell my work as a side activity. A couple of people who work at my office are Etsy sellers themselves, and they suggested I open up a shop there, too. I checked it out, and it seemed like a fun, supportive, stress-free environment to not only sell my work, but to network with other artists and people who share common passions, and to meet people who can introduce me to other forms of art as well.


4. What are your hopes for the future?

I hope that I can continue on the path that I'm going with my photography and graphic design work. Everyone has to start out small, which is where I am currently at, but I would love for both of them to grow into more than just an occasional side activity. I love the freedom of creativity I have when doing these things, and would like to share my work with as many people as I can!

5. What are some of your favorite past times?

Well, architecture and design, of course! I have been passionate about art for as long as I can remember, I've had a love of architecture since I discovered it in the 8th grade, and I've been interested in photography since early college. So, obviously those are very big in my life. Besides all of that, I love to travel, my husband and I are trying to go someplace new every year. I also love food and wine, especially when combined with the traveling! I enjoy going to movies, shows, sporting events, any sort of entertainment! I also have a love for animals, I have 5 'kids' - 2 English Bulldogs and 3 cats! And of course spending time with my friends, family, and my husband!



6. Try to sum up your workspace in as few words as possible.

My shop is a collection of fun, interesting, beautiful, inspiring creations, with enough variety for everyone to find something that they enjoy!

How do you feel about custom orders?

I gladly accept custom orders! I very much enjoy working with people to create just the right thing for them. I offer custom framing/matting of my prints, graphic enhancement of prints (if someone finds a print that they like but would rather have it in black and white, for instance, or maybe cropped differently, or color added), plus custom graphic design work, as mentioned above. Just contact me and ask!

How did you choose your shop name?

Well, the first part is obviously my first name, followed by my maiden name, and I chose to use the word design rather than 'photography' or 'graphics', because I don't label myself as an architect (even though that's my formal training!) or a photographer, or a graphic designer. I call myself a designer, because thats what I do. I design.

Is there anything else you would like to add?

I would like to also add that a portion of my sales of animal prints will be donated to benefit no-kill animal shelters.

How can people get in contact with you?

I can be reached by email: eringarrisondesign@gmail.com, or by visiting my shop, http://eringarrisondesign.etsy.com and sending me a message there.



Thank you so much for taking the time to read this feature. Feel free to visit Erin's Etsy Shop today for great fine art photography.



Christina

CM Designs

http://1337art.etsy.com

Elite Art for the elite at heart. Featuring jewelry for men and women, art collages, awareness items, bookmarks, cell phone charms, key chains, and more!


Featured Photographs:

Venetian Canal
What Are You Looking At
Nature in Motion

Italian Wine Making

1 comment:

TWO BEES IN A POD said...

that dog is SOOO cute. :]

and yummmm if you ever find that recipe, please send it my way!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails