Thursday, May 1, 2008

Etsy Artist Feature 14: maiaart

It is important to show the world the charms of handcrafted items. We plan to do this one Etsy Artist at a time. Today we feature maiaart. She does beautiful artwork with watercolors and pyrograph gourd art. I purchased her freedom horse (as pictured) greeting card to give to mom for Mother's Day. Maia is so nice to work with and she is so very friendly and helpful.

Below you will find her interview:

1. What is the first memory of crafting that you can recall?

My first memory of crafting would be mud pies. They were great mud pies, I made them with the neighbor kid “Brian”. We decorated them with leaves and beautiful little rocks. They were very unique, I have never seen any like them since!!!

2. What do you specialize in?

I am finding a love for painting, this is something I have never done before except for using the dyes on my Gourd art. Using the watercolors and bottled inks have been very interesting. My specialty or my great passion has always been Pyrograph Gourd Art. I have been an artist in that field for over 20 years. My hands are whining and I needed to find some other way to create and share. So, painting is a wonderful way to share emotions with other people. I have purchased art for so many years because of how it makes me feel, now I can try to share that with others.

3. What made you decide to open up a shop on Etsy?

I kept running into little icons that talked about “etsy” when I was selling ACEO’s on eBay. Finally I asked one of the artists what they thought. The thing that struck me was that it was so affordable to list and it was a community. I was not sure what she meant by that, but once I got started then I really realized how incredible of a community it was!!

4. What are your hopes for the future?

In the future I hope to be doing what I am doing now only different, in the sense of change and growth happen so I am excited to see where it leads.

5. What are some of your favorite past times?

My bliss time is spent kayaking, walking, and learning the obvious that I did not see. Cultures, I love learning about different cultures. When the Monks from Bhutan stayed with us I learned so much in 3 months. Even with language barriers, because body language is very telling when that is what you have to communicate with!

Much laughter goes with that!

6. Try to sum up your workspace in as few words as possible.

My workspace, well it is an optical allusion of chaos, it truly is so organized!!

How do you feel about custom orders?

Custom orders are not something I do much of at this time. I do have people send a specific amount of money and say “use this up” for gourd art etc.. They may choose a theme such as Hawaiian or Maori or what ever they come up with. Then the rest is up to me!!

People can contact me through; maiaart.etsy.com or; joylife3@olypen.com

Is there anything else you'd like to add?

It is artists like Christina that help support and promote the camaraderie between artist.

Thank you so much for your interest! Feel free to leave comments for Maia to see!

Christina
CM Designs
http://1337art.etsy.com
Elite Art for the elite at heart - Featuring jewelry for men and women, bookmarks, art collages, cell phone charms, key chains, and more!

Featured items:

Moonlit Seahorse Greeting Card
Freedom Horse Greeting Card
Momma's of Africa

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails